If this is the first time you are hiring a caterer for an event you might find yourself faced with one question – what does a good caterer do? There are many caterers all around London so it is important that you answer that question so that you can know what to look for in a caterer. Although no 2 caterers are exactly alike, there are some qualities that all good caterers share:
• Good food is a hallmark of all good caterers. An event is nothing without good food. It doesn’t matter how tastefully the venue is decorated – if the people don’t enjoy the food experience then the caterer has failed. They should be able to prepare, transport and reheat large amounts of food. They should also be able to cater with those who have special needs.
• Food safety is the most important thing that a caterer has to offer. The last thing you want is for people to get sick from eating at your event. When you are looking for a caterer, make sure to check that he or she has received the necessary training – that is where they learn about food safety issues. You should look up the licensing board for caterers in your area and verify that they are licensed.
• Customer service is an absolute must not just for the caterer but also for all his staff. You will be dealing with all these people very closely in the coming weeks and on your guests will come into contact with them on the day of your event. They should all be tactful and diplomatic and they should be good listeners.
• Are they flexible and can they get creative when it is necessary? Flexibility is very important because things need to be adjusted all the time. If a cook insists that he MUST use a certain ingredient that is not available he can cause huge delays and inconveniences. They should also be creative – if one thing is missing they should be able to substitute it for another.
• The caterer that you choose must have leadership skills. If you have ever seen the kitchen staff at work in restaurants, that is more or less how catering works. There is a lot going on and if it isn’t managed properly things can go very wrong.
• Financial planning is crucial to the catering process and your caterer should have the necessary skills to come up with a budget that you can afford.
• Your caterer should be a good communicator – they need to listen to your needs and concerns and if they have any of their own they should be able to come to you and express themselves politely but clearly.
Lastly, it is important to ask yourself whether or not you like them. Like everything else in life, things are much easier when you are working with someone that you like.
When you are hosting a group of people, whether for a wedding, a birthday party or even a company event it is usually expected that you will provide them with food as part of the experience. This can be hard to do if you are dealing with a group of more than a few people and that is why you call in caterers they prepare and provide food for your guests. In order to know whether you are getting what you paid for, it is important that you know what to expect from your caterer.
The first thing that they should do is show you kitchens. Good caterers want to show their clients their kitchens to allay any fears that they may have about hygiene. They will also tell you how many employees they have so that you can gauge for yourself whether they will be able to serve your guests. The caterer will also show you his equipment to reassure you that they have everything that is needed to make your event a success.
After that, you will tell him what you want served at your event so that he can come up with menu options. If you want to serve fish, for instance, he can suggest the best kind of fish to serve and then 3 or 4 different ways that it can be cooked. He will do this for every food item right from the first course to the last. He will also come up with the drinks that should be served. If you have no idea how to go about creating a menu don’t worry – it is the caterer’s job to come up with one.
Once all this is done he will then prepare a tasting session where you will taste the different options that he has created. This is the time for you to check on the kind of table layout that he has as well as the kind of cutlery, plates and glasses that he will use. You should also note how the food is arranged and presented. If there is anything that you don’t like this is the time to point it out.
Once you have tasted the various options presented you will settle on one of them that will be served at your event and then leave the caterer to start preparing. A few days before the event call them and ask if everything is on track. On the day of, call them in the morning and find out if they will arrive on schedule and whether everything is prepared. If it is they should have no problem giving your guests a memorable time.
Make sure that you write a contract with your caterer so that in case they do not deliver as promised you can get a refund.
Sometimes a catering business can be really challenging and demanding. Your goal is not just to provide food to an event, but also to make it a memorable event. No one wants a mediocre party or celebration. In order to organize a truly unique event and you will need some innovative, creative, unique catering ideas.
- Get A Tip From A Professional Chef
If you feel like you’re catering business has been stuck in a rut for a while, consider asking a professional chef for a piece of advice. A professional chef might give you some clues to how you can enhance your business and make it more successful. Also, it will make your services unique if you would just put some time and effort into developing it. As with everything else, if you devote yourself to a catering business, and ask for experts’ advice, your business will thrive.
- See What Your Guests Want
It is not easy to cater the event and when you don’t know what the guests want. Also, preparing a lot of convenient food will only make the event and dull and boring. You can ask around and try to feel the wishes of the guests, but also you can make a query or a survey in order to see what they really want.
- Be Creative
When it comes to catering, it’s a business which is probably most like art nowadays. You will have to be creative in order to stay in the business. Your customers will value your creativity, and they will probably thing that you are unique in the market which will make them recommend your services to other people. Also, if you are creative, your job will never feel boring to you.
- It’s All About The Presentation
If you choose to go with conventional presentation, your guests will not be impressed. Your presentation can be your ticket to enhancing your catering business. Always change the presentation, tried to be creative and innovative as much as you can.
- Get Some Inspiration
If you are having trouble with inspiration, you can always a go online, look at Pinterest, or just talk to friends, coworkers and family about their visions. It doesn’t matter where you get your inspiration from as long as you get your inspiration from some place. Always try to jot down your ideas and make your craziest dreams possible. In this way you will develop a truly unique catering business.
- Be Different
If you want your business to thrive you will have to offer something others do not. Also, consider your business from the standpoint of a customer. Try to imagine what would be important to you had you been a customer. Also, paying attention to details and interpersonal and social relationship always can help improve the number of satisfied customers.